1) Training: A trained cosmetic dentist will have taken postgraduate courses in porcelain veneers and other cosmetic dental procedures, like Invisalign, laser dentistry, or all-white restorations. Do not be shy about asking your potential dentist about his or her cosmetic studies.
2) Associations: The most well-known association for cosmetic dentists is the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry. While membership in the AACD does not ensure that a dentist is good, it does tell you that the dentist takes cosmetics seriously enough to invest in a membership.
3) Payment Options: Since insurance does not cover cosmetic smile enhancements, you will probably want to work with a dentist who accepts credit cards or offers payment plans. Many cosmetic dentists work with CareCredit, Unicorn Financial, and Wells Fargo for third-party patient financing, as well.
4) Scheduling: What are the dentist’s office hours? Do they suit your schedule? Will the dentist treat your entire family?
5) Location: Cosmetic dental enhancements can require multiple visits. Is the dentist’s office convenient for your home or work?
6) Time Requirements: How long will it take the dentist to finish your smile makeover? Does he or she have any vacations planned during your treatment?
7) Technology & Anesthesia: Dentists interested in modern procedures often have advanced technology, such as digital X-rays, intraoral cameras, chairside monitors, and a dental laser. Ask your potential dentist about the technology in his or her office. You may also want to find out what kind of anesthesia or sedation is offered.
8) Comfort: How do you feel in the dentist’s office? Is the staff friendly? Do you feel like you can ask questions, and do you like the answers you receive?
9) Before & After Photos: An experienced cosmetic dentist will have an album or online gallery of before-and-after cases for your review. Ask the dentist to show you a case similar to yours.
10) Previews: Does the dentist offer digital imaging or wax-ups so that you can see the predicted results before you commit to treatment?
While cosmetic dentistry done correctly is safe, effective, and long-lasting, when performed incorrectly, any dental procedure can cause problems. Be bold about interviewing your dentist. Some dentists offer a free cosmetic consultation so that you can meet and discuss your expectations. Once you find a dentist that meets most of your criteria, proceed with an exam and listen to his or her treatment plan.
Discuss financing and scheduling with your dentist. Make sure you feel comfortable and confident in the dentist’s office. A beautiful, strong, comfortable smile that’s built to last can improve your self-confidence and open doors of opportunity you never knew existed.
Looking for a cosmetic dentist in Northern VA? Dr. Myles is a leading local dentist for smile makeovers. He works with you to create a personal treatment plan that will achieve your aesthetic goals. Dr. Myles offers Virtual Smile Consultations to make it easy and convenient to get started on your journey to a new smile.