Aesthetic imperfections of any size can be a detriment to your smile. Whether a tooth is crooked, discolored, or chipped, even the smallest flaw can be a distraction from the rest of your teeth. At our Reston dentistry practice, we believe that all patients can, and should, have the opportunity to achieve a radiant smile. As one of the various cosmetic treatments offered by Dr. Myles, porcelain veneers can address most problems with astonishing effectiveness. To see if you may benefit from veneers, consider what makes a good candidate for treatment.
CANDIDACY FOR PORCELAIN VENEERS
Most patients who want to conceal a cosmetic problem are already good candidates for porcelain veneers. Because veneers cover the front surface of a tooth, they are effective at masking blemishes without replacing or harming the tooth itself. However, patients must have healthy teeth prior to receiving veneers. If decay or advanced gum disease are present under or around a veneer, it will most likely have to be removed to treat the underlying problem.
Additionally, patients should have fully grown teeth before receiving porcelain veneers. Since they are customized to fit a tooth for many years to come, the tooth cannot continue to grow or change substantially after being fitted with a veneer. Likewise, any necessary orthodontic treatment should first be completed before receiving veneers, as the veneers would interfere with braces or similar procedures.
PROBLEMS COMMONLY SOLVED BY PORCELAIN VENEERS
Since veneers essentially replace the outward appearance of teeth, they can correct a wide array of cosmetic flaws. Some problems that are commonly corrected through treatment include:
- Chips and cracks: Chipped teeth can be embarrassing, and they tend to occur at the front of the mouth where they are most noticeable. By covering a chipped tooth with porcelain, you can restore its full, healthy appearance.
- Discoloration: Stained teeth are one of the most common cosmetic complaints. Depending on the type and degree of stains, they can also be difficult to expunge. By using stain resistant porcelain, you can gain an enduringly bright smile.
- Crooked teeth: One or more crooked teeth are enough to seriously affect the balance of your smile. Through the “instant orthodontics” of porcelain veneers, you can straighten your smile for good.
- Erosion: Tooth enamel can erode for a variety of reasons: from the bristles of a toothbrush to whitening treatments or simple wear and tear. With significant erosion, teeth can be simultaneously protected and enhanced through porcelain veneers.
- Gaps between teeth: Gaps can occur from the shape of teeth or their alignment. In either circumstance, one or more veneers can close these gaps for a more uniform, attractive look.
PORCELAIN VENEERS VS. ALTERNATIVE TREATMENTS
Before deciding whether porcelain veneers are right for you, it’s helpful to compare its benefits with similar cosmetic treatments. Dental bonding and teeth whitening, for instance, can provide similar solutions for certain problems, but with varying effects.
- Porcelain veneers vs. dental bonding: Like veneers, a dental bonding procedure can help fix chips, stains, erosion, and gaps between teeth. This is accomplished through the application of composite resin over a tooth, hiding problems beneath it or altering the tooth’s shape. However, bonding cannot address larger or more prominent problems as effectively as veneers. In addition, composite resin is both aesthetically inferior and less durable than porcelain.
- Porcelain veneers vs.teeth whitening: For discoloration, teeth whitening gel can produce satisfying results. Whitening gel is primarily intended for surface stains, such as those caused by food, drink, and tobacco use. Deeper stains and dark stains are not as likely to be removed through whitening treatment. Porcelain veneers are therefore a good option for patients with stubborn stains or those who prefer a permanent, reliable way to achieve whiter teeth.
Before undergoing any treatment, speak with your cosmetic dentist regarding your personal needs and expectations. Through an initial consultation, you can determine whether porcelain veneers or an alternative treatment can best suit you.
REWARD YOURSELF WITH A NEW SMILE
No matter what is holding your smile back, let us help you accomplish all of your dental goals. Contact us to schedule a consultation or to hear more about our treatment options.